Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Online Harrassment

Note: In response to Mark Xander's call to get the word out, I have copied the following text from his site. I share the same sentiments. Read on....

Online harassment

A couple of weeks ago, I started receiving threats and defamatory remarks on this blog from a person who hides under the name Micah. This person comes to my blog everyday just to give derogatory comments. Moderation can only do so much, and the time spent reading threats can eventually take a toll on the enthusiasm of the blogger. It's a tough call.. I don't know who this person is, and judging by the things he says, he doesn't know me either. He hates my blog and feels the need to bring my morale down every single day.

I once promised my friend Thad that in a situation like this I will be the bigger person. Ignoring the comments worked for a while, but as of three days ago, my worst fear happened -- I started getting grave threats: "I can't wait to come to Dumaguete and have you nailed on the cross!", he announced. It's scary because my home address and my sister's cellphone number were once posted on this blog for business purposes.

Online harassment is real.

I am not alone in receiving hate and violence directed against himself through blogs. Countless bloggers throughout the world fall victim to online bullying everyday. Comments are usually anonymous with no urls or working emails. These perpetrators take advantage of the fact that they think they know you, but you don't know them. This gives them a sense of power.

This is especially true here in the Philippines, where the emergence of rascals with little regard for online civility is rampant. When I started blogging, I intended it to be a journal, an online diary. I, as a blogger, have the right to talk about my life. If you don't believe in veganism or have preconceived notions about me, you don't have to come here at all.

The bigotry is not necessary.

I never approved any of the comments. My blog is a celebration of life and health, and how veganism made me a better person. I also made a lot of friends in the blogging world -- a fact he does not like. In fact it led him to start posting rude comments on Ian's and my mom's blogs as well. This guy has some very serious problems.

What can one do? Today, Ian told me that it's time to act. He sent me a link to an article about online harassment that we can use. We need to save everything from now on. And then we can report to the proper authorities. I also texted my friend, ABS-CBN reporter RG Cruz, just in case I'm going to need his help or advice.

I am hoping that this article will help someone else. If no one writes about the reality of online harassment, more and more innocent bloggers will be victimized.

Get the word out. Blog about my story.

2 comments:

Mark Xander said...

Juan, thanks for doing this. I'm hoping that this will help someone else.

Online bullies and harassers have to be prosecuted.

Saminella said...

yeah. i hate online bullies. so immature.