Thursday, September 6, 2007

Fear Factor


It's the 29th wedding anniversary of my Mommy and Papang...we had a simple dinner sa labas (sa labas ng bahay, literally hehe) under the moonlit sky.

After our meals and "bonding sessions", I went home alone (temporarily I'm living separately from my parents) riding my motorbike. The road leading to my place is dark. Good timing, the light emanating from my bike struck at a scarecrow, I almost lost my balance (exag! hehe).

I fear that I may have this fear of the dark phobia or nyctophobia which is common among people who often fear that something catastrophic may happen to them in the night.

In the darkness, we can’t see very well, and for me, who is particularly very imaginative, this is somewhat frightening. A pervading sense can build that something sinister is just out of sight and arm’s reach waiting for its moment to strike.

I searched over the internet for some information about phobias and voila... I was dumbfounded by the statement of this person named Ross Menzies who is a psychologist at the University of Sydney:

People don't die of a phobia. They get rapid heart rate and they get short of breath and it can feel awful...but that's as bad as it gets, basically. And people need to learn to confront their fears - it's the avoidance of the bad feeling that maintains the fear over years or a lifetime.

Somewhat true.

I concur.

No comments: